From the blog this week: Pruned by the Master Gardener
Were the First Christians Socialists?
“Despite the initial plausibility of a socialist reading of Acts, there are at least two realities that make the sharing in the early church different from socialism and especially communism.”
How Do I Evangelize Someone Who Says That They Don’t Trust the Bible?
“I understand the question. It seems like a pretty difficult dilemma. If someone will not listen to the Bible because they think it is an invention of men, then how do I convince them that the Bible is actually God’s Word?”
How we treat the church is how we treat Christ
“If we cannot be bothered to get out of bed to get to church on Sunday morning, we are not just failing to bother spending time with God’s people but we are spurning Christ himself. When we have no interest in serving and caring for the Lord’s people, we are failing to care for the Lord. When we drop the ball on stuff in church and put upon others, we are spurning the Lord and saying there are other things that take precedence over him.”
10 New and Notable Books for May
Some new books coming out this month!
Podcast: Bruce Ashford- The Gospel of our King: Bible, Worldview, and the Mission of Every Christian
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- A brief overview of Creation, Fall, Redemption, and Restoration.
- The importance of understanding how worldview, gospel, and mission relate to and emerge from the biblical storyline.
- How the Bible’s radical monotheism help Christians understand the nature of idolatry in our Western world.
- In what way every aspect of the Christian life and mission—union with Christ and the church, gospel words, and deeds, deeply, and profoundly social.
- In what way every aspect of Christian mission is unavoidably cultural.
- How the international thread of the mission of God is in colorful display in the nation of Israel, the life and ministry of Jesus, and the nature of Christ’s church.